Monday, February 11, 2008

HINTS AND TIPS

HI this is the old dog barking again.
In this post I would like to pass on some hints and tips that I found useful to me as I got started to explore the web, but first a little bit of history. When I was in high school only the bright kids got to play with the computors as there was'nt many to go around. So I finished school computor illiterate, but that didn't matter as all my jobs that I have held didn't require computors.

Now that i'm older I found my interest in computing growing and finally we aquired a decent computor that we were able to do something with, so we hooked up the internet and started to surf. When you haven't grown up with the terminology and lingo it can be a bit confusing at times, as it is my wife lets me do most of the computing work as she gets frustrated with it and is likely to throw it out the window [as has happened to a few saucepans and afew odds and ends].

This is where I come to my first tip on how to get to meet people and surf the web at the same time.

I looked at Facebook and Myspace and one or two others, but at the time they didn't appeal to me. You may find that your the opposite, but I found Stumbleupon suited me better. It's a site where you get to learn to blog, join groups for discussions on a myriad of topics, it is also where I taught myself html to use in my blogs.Stumble is also a amazing site to utilizing in a social marketing strategy but more on that in a later post.

The one thing I found is how easy it is to use, Once you have joined and installed the toolbar, you log in to your own site, click on the preferences tab and there you can click what sort of things on the web interest you most, also fill out your profile so other stumblers get to know a bit about you.

Then all have to do is select on the toolbar what sort of thing you want to look at be it hobbies or geography, or you can select everything from your preferences and once you have done that just press the stumble button and away you go ,your surfing. Heres a hint to get you started to meet people on stumble, join a few groups, leave some comments, let people know you are out there.

You can also stumble other stumblers sites, see their blog pages and their profiles. Stumble also provides you with the abilitie to download articles,photos to your site useing the thumbs up or down buttons, also you can reveiw sites and leave comments on what you thought of that site.

As you will probaly guess I am quite new to the game, so I tend to ramble a bit now and then so I apologise in advance, but I wish to share some of my experiences in coming to grips with the dreaded bogeyman called the internet.

P.S. I just tryed to download a picture to this site but all I got was a , sorry unable to complete this action due to a fault message,so now I will sign off and chase down why I couldn't download my picture, till next time SEE YA.

No comments: